Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Sabbatical Adventures begin . . .

Monday, April 7, 2014

An Allegory of Weeds

I know, according to the calender, we're not even really into Spring yet, so why talk about weeds?!  Not yet! Those pesky things that ruin a pretty lawn and inundate the veggie garden?  They will appear in the garden soon enough!

Original sketch appeared in my other blog here

But there are other kinds of weeds that I want to explore today.  They are the strong veins of time wasters that sinisterly take up the space of our lives until we become less fertile and productive for a less pleasing life, just like our lawn.  For those of us who have an online presence, you know the weeds.  They can be too much time spent on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter etc, although you know too, that these can be good tools for your use.  The trick is to use them in moderation and not let them dictate the flow of your whole life!  They can become like the dandelions in your yard--emphasis on the "lion" part of the word--intimidating and roaring! Although Dandelion weeds can be pretty, even nutritional with edible leaves, once they get a foothold in your lawn (or life), the root is extremely hard to eradicate! And the seeds!  Wow, they spread everywhere!  You know what I am talking about, the time wasters of following links and exploring new images to the far corners of the internet, then looking up and finding that your morning is GONE!

During this sabbatical I have endeavored to keep my time tight! I have a list of topics that I want to explore, research and study, but just like weeds in the garden, it takes constant vigilance to stay focused and on task.

Let me encourage you to examine your time that you might be wasting, in whatever way, and 
stay true to your vision.




2 comments:

  1. Great analogy! And so true --- I can get so entranced by the Internet, I lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great comparison! The internet can be a huge time suck!

    ReplyDelete